Saturday, December 19, 2009

Graduation!

On December 12, the Crain family hit a major milestone. Russ graduated!

To explain a little more, Russ tried college after we graduated from high school 13 years ago but at that time, well, let's just say it wasn't a good fit. Which worked well for me because that brought him to live in Dahlonega after leaving UGA. I was in college at North Georgia in Dahlonega and it was then that we started dating. While I was in my senior year, Russ started attending classes again but then stopped when his dad had a stroke in late 2002. It wasn't until we decided to start a family that he made the decision to go back to school full time. That was a little over 3 years ago. So, after 13 years, Russ graduated from North Georgia College and State University with a bachelor's degree in Finance. I think I was the happiest person there! Although, Rhiannon looks pretty happy too.

And yes, I was able to attend graduation thankfully. When all this bedrest stuff began, it was my fear that I would not be able to go. And it was so important for me to be there to support him. Russ has had such a difficult last semester with me on bedrest, caring for Rhiannon, work, and a tough semester in school, but he has worked so hard. My youngest brother, Timothy, was also graduating with his Masters in Education in the same ceremony. After getting clearance from OB, I was allowed to go.


So Russ spoke to the school and had them reserve a seat for me on the floor so that I would not have to climb bleachers (climbing stairs right now is a no-no). They were only able to reserve 3 and I figured that me Rhiannon and my brother Stephen could sit there together that way the parents could sit together and I had Stephen's help with Rhiannon.

The morning of graduation. . .

Russ had a late night with early celebrations so Stephen and I were caring for Rhiannon that morning while the graduate slept in. Rhiannon woke up at 5:30am and that was how the day started. Later on that morning, after Russ had showered, I went to get in the shower and while it was warming up, our water went out. Comletely. In the entire neighborhood. Stephen and I had not showered yet and were supposed to be leaving in an hour and a half. So, we grabbed Rhiannon and drove to my parents house. In a mad rush, we got ready and were on our way to graduation. Stephen entered the gym first and found our seats. They were easy to get to and had "Reserved Crain" taped on the backs of them. Stephen goes to sit down and this lady tells him that she has those seats saved. He tells her that they are reserved for his family and sits down. She starts fussing at him and that's when I sat down. She then starts fussing at me. I explain to her that my husband is graduating at that I had been on bedrest for 10 weeks. Because of my condition, my husband had the school reserve these seats for me. I'm not sure if she didn't believe me or if she was just psycho (I'm leaning towards the latter). She then said something about taking care of it and walked off. She came back and pointed her finger in Stephen's face and told him that he was a liar! She said she spoke to the Dean and there were no reserved seats. At this point, I'm thinking that maybe she's blind. Can she not see the signs on the chairs? Did she think that we put those signs there? At this point, the Howard tempers of me and Stephen (with a few pregnant hormones as kindling) are flaring so we are both telling this lady off. I truly can't remember ever being that mad. I chose to walk off to see a sorority sister of mine and cool off. And the lady followed me!!! I was really looking for people to take her off in the white jacket. Or me one.

But, Russ and Timothy graduated! Whew. After my camera was dropped and broken in the lobby after the ceremony, I was ready for this day to be over!

But I couldn't be more happy for my hard working husband. I'm so proud of him!

2 comments:

Kate's Mom said...

WAHOOO Russ!!!! I am SOOOO Happy for you guys! I think the time Russ put in it makes it that much sweeter a success! Please pass along our Congrats to Russ!

As for the psyco woman harassing the pregnant lady with a two year old at her husband's graduation...I'm shocked! I think you handled it all pretty well. I think I know what Santa should bring her, And I hope Santa brings a new camera.

Mendy said...

Yay Russ!!! That is no small accomplishment with all that is on your plates right now. It takes 2 really special people to juggle everything so well. I know you were so proud of him!!